A blog is a type of website where the content is presented in reverse chronological order means new content appear first. Blog content is often referred as Blog posts .
History of Blogging
The very first blog can be traced to the year 1994 , created by Justin Hall ,a US freelance journalist.The content he created was not reffered to as a blog .It was just listed as a homepage .
The word ‘weblog’ was invented on December 17,1997 by Jorn Barger who also invented his own blog labeled Robot Wisdom.
In 1999, the word blog came to life .Peter Merholz a programmer rebranded the term weblog to “blog” . Later on after five years the term blog was declared the word of the year by Merriam – webster.
Several blogging platforms later came up. Livejournal was the amongst the first platform to gain poularity . Blogger.com was launched in 1999,it was invented by Even williams . later it was acquired by Google in 2003.
In 2003 worpress was launched, today it is worlds most popular blogging platform .
what is a website ?
A website is a collection of related network web resources such as web pages ,multimedia content.which are typically identified with a common domain name and published on at least one web server.
website can be accessed via a public internet protocol (IP) network, such as internet or a private local area network ( LAN) by a Uniform resources locator (URL) that identifies the site.
website can have many functions and can be used in various fashions . A website can be a personal website , a corporate website for a company , a government website , an organization website etc. LIKE facebook, wikipedia, etc
what is the difference between Blog and website
There are some of differences between a blog and website ,
- content are presented in chronological order ( new post appeared First .
- you can comment on post unless the commenting is turned off. By this option there will be more interaction between the author and the reader.
- You can subscribe the blogs RSS feed
- .you need update the blog regularly
- posts can go viral if the content is unique and good
- Articles that are organized by using categories and tags
- Blog can be part of a larger website .
- Does not have always a Home page
- website are static in nature where content is organized in pages ,the content is not presented in chronological order
- Normally you can not comment on page
- you can not normally subscribe to RSS feed
- update infrequent ,it depends on site
- content is organized by page
- Not all website can be called blogs
- website has a Home page .
Blog or website – which one is better?
you might have getting doubt which one is better, blog or website ? answer is depend on which type site u would like to go
Small business website may just have pages and no blog. small business website create only for web presence for their business or organization
Now a days large business site are realized the potential of a blog and it become the part of their marketing strategy . they are adding a separate blog section to their traditional website and using it to get more traffic .
Even if you have non profit organization or a professional site, Adding a blog to your website can help you get more traffic or generate lead to your business.
- How to start a blog
- How to Create a WordPress Website
- what is SEO? How does it work ?Why is it important?